The main church in the village was built with local bricks. Its Toulouse style tower is over 45m tall.
The Notre Dame Chapel (built in 1836) recalls the local devotion to Our Lady by the sailors who inhabited the banks of the Garonne in times gone by.
In Moutet, just south of the village,you can see a rare example of a church made with wattle and daub. The church was built in the 13th century and contains furniture from 17th and 18th centuries.
Saint Nicolas is a "Bastide"town founded by the Charter of 1135. Its original walls and moats have now been replaced by boulevards shaded by plane trees, linden and maple.
Its central square is lined with archways on two sides. The are streets connecting to the square on all four corners. The current covered hall replaced the old wooden building in 1898.
Saint Nicolas also has a bandstand which was built in 1932 and is used regularly during local festivities.
Saint Nicolas de la Grave is the main town in the canton and has a population of 2,140. It is located at the crossroads of the historical provinces of Quercy, Gascony and Guyenne and is only 70 km from Toulouse and 32 km from Agen.
The town is surrounded by orchards and fields producing the great quality fruit and vegetables that the region is famous for. Local fruit includes peaches, nectarines, apples, apricots, kiwis....
Saint Nicolas de la Grave is a charming town with local shops and a farmer's market on a monday morning.
The historic and legendary castle is first mentioned in the charter drawn up in 1135 between the Abbots of Moissac and the Viscounts of Lomagne. At that time, the Garonne actually flowed right by the castle and the castle played a very important defensive role.
The current "North Wing" was consturcted on an earlier building from 1135. The "East Wing" also called the "English Tower" was built by Richard the Lionheart. He lived in the castle after returning from the Crusades at the end of the 12th century. The "West Wing" and its two towers were built by Abbot Bertrand de Montaigu between 1230 and 1295.
In the mid-19th century, the Mayor and Town Hall moved into the Castle. The Gendarmerie and local schoool were originally also housed in the castle, but were later replaced by the Post Office and the local Tax Office.